Hello,
I’m Grace Renninger. I’m currently attending Florida State University with an
undecided major. I’m really enjoying college so far, and I had a lot of
questions before I started. Here are some things I’m glad I did, and some
things I would do differently.
What
I’d do Differently:
1. Taken My Academic
Adviser’s Word as Stone:
My Academic adviser
recommended I take a class I’d already taken in high school. I didn’t think I
needed to, but took her advice, and ended up being very bored in a class I’d
already taken. You know what you’re capable of. Talk to your academic advisor
if you have a question about a class, but also talk to the students in the
class, and if you can, the professor. Then make your decision.
2. Bought My Books Before
Classes Started:
I ended up not needing two of
the books I bought. None of my classes started using the book until the second
week, which is plenty of time to order or buy a book. If you buy your books
before classes start, I would recommend asking what the return policy is.
3. Applied For Housing Late
My college tour guides told
me to apply for housing early, without mentioning the hefty application fees. I
waited until I’d decided on which college I wanted to go to, and ended up in a
less-desirable dorm. My dorm is far from terrible, but I wish I’d researched
colleges and applied for housing earlier.
What I’d do Again:
1. Was Outgoing
Everyone is trying to make
friends the first week. Visiting clubs and going to campus events is a great
way to meet new people. If you can’t find a club that interests you, start one!
My friend and I started a writing group with some students in her creative
writing class, and now we’re all good friends. Be persistent, and you’ll make
new friends.
2. Tried New Things
Have you ever heard a Lakota
Native American Courting Flute? I sure hadn’t, until someone asked me if I’d
like to hear a Lakota Native American Flute concert. Colleges offer a variety
of free, interesting events. Keep up on what’s happening on campus, and try new
things. You never know what you might learn!
3. Was Honest During the Roommate Agreement
My roommate and I didn’t know
each other before we came to college. We get along great, and I think this is
partly because we were very honest with each other. We told each other about
ourselves, and what we expected for cleanliness, visitors, and study hours. It
might seem awkward, but it’s better in the long run.
4.
Sat in the Front of the Room
I
had three classes with over two hundred students, and I swear I would never
have known it if I hadn’t looked behind me. Sitting in the front of the room
minimized the distraction and put me right up close to my professor, which made
it easier to pay attention.
No comments:
Post a Comment