Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Help Kids Appreciate STEM

By Connor Shea, 9th Grade INSPIRE Student

I've been fortunate enough to grow up with an appreciation for science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.  My parents noticed my interest in math early on and provided interesting math books for me to read such as The Number Devil, Mathematicians Are People Too, and G is for Googol.  I was encouraged to explore my interest in geology by working on a project with a mentor when I was ten.  Trips to science museums and nature walks have been regular events. As I have grown older, I have realized that a lot of kids see math and the other STEM disciplines as "hard" or "boring". They might not have had the same opportunities to see how exciting STEM can be. I decided that I wanted to help kids appreciate STEM fields and learn more about the fun parts.

As part of this endeavor, I've presented Zome Tools engineering workshops to kids at the Beyond IQ Conference, Cub Scout groups, and afterschool programs. I launched my blog, STEM4Kids in September of 2010.  Stem4Kids.info is a free site dedicated to helping kids ages 8-12 learn about STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Mathematics).  On this site, I post fun STEM games, articles, and activities that I find for others to enjoy. I also post on twitter and will be creating a Facebook account for STEM4Kids.

(You can write for the INSPIRE Blog!  Upload your article to the OLC Blogs drop box!)

No comments:

Post a Comment