Monday, October 29, 2012

You Won't Believe What I Did This Summer!!!


By Dhruv Narayanan

At the very beginning of this summer, I was given a chance to go to a HOBY leadership camp. For those of you that don't know, Hugh O'Brian Youth leadership seminars occur all over the country, and are available for high school sophomores to apply and attend, representing their high school. The camp consisted of many speakers, activities, and a community service project to help the ambassadors (that's what they called us) learn how to be better leaders in our communities. This camp was eventful, exciting, and helped me make a whole bunch of new friends. I strongly encourage you to apply and attend this wonderful opportunity, as I believe this is a life-changing experience. The only problem was the camp started on the day of the AP World History exam, an exam I was taking, so that day was just a little stressful...

Life changing experiences set aside, this summer I was given the amazing opportunity to go with my family to India to visit my relatives. It was absolutely amazing! Reunions with families half-way across the globe are usually pretty exciting, but the sight-seeing made it even more memorable. I went to Kanyakumari, the southern most tip of India where the Indian Ocean, Bay of Bengal, and Arabian Sea all meet. It was amazing! I encourage each and every one of you to go to India, stand in the throngs of millions of people, and just.... enjoy the culture. Stand there with your head in the warm breeze and let it all soak in. Just don't stand out there too long and get sunburned.

Besides that relatively long excursion, I also got a chance to drive from upstate New York all the way back home in Texas with my Dad. I personally love to drive – I relish every opportunity to get behind the steering wheel, turn the key in the ignition (or hit the start button – soooo much more 21st century), and feel the power of a ferocious V8 growling under the hood (or in my case, more of a purr from a economic V4 of a Civic...). Either way, driving is just my thing. We covered the 1500+ miles in 3 days (so about 500 miles a day) with lots of stops for sight-seeing. I didn't even know a corvette museum existed in Bowling Green, KY until we saw a sign pointing at it. Nor did I have any idea how beautiful I-65 would be with its rolling green hills and mountains through Kentucky and Tennessee. Road trips really open your eyes to the subtle beauty of America. Yes, they also end up making sure you play every song on your iPod twice, but music aside, I learned so much from just driving on highways, stopping at local landmarks and taking a second to let the history (and the view) sink in. You guys should definitely go for a relatively long road-trip, if given the chance.

This summer also inaugurated my junior year of high school and made me start seriously thinking about future plans. Fellow juniors, and even freshmen/sophomores, if you haven't started yet, I highly encourage you to do so! I know, like some of you guys here, that I want to major in Engineering. More specifically, Mechanical Engineering. I have seriously started looking at colleges both in Texas, as well as from California to Florida to Oregon to Massachusetts. Unfortunately, I have no real idea of where I want to go – my only criteria on collegeboard.org is whether or not the school offers Mechanical Engineering and has an orchestra (haha). I'm still working on that...

All in all, I had a very eventful summer, full of exciting, new adventures around almost every corner. Now, junior year is here, and I'm T-Minus 70 weeks (of school) and counting till graduation! One last thing, my fellow INSPIRE-ees: Did anyone else have as awesome of a summer as me? Tell us about it!


Discuss this blog here: http://tinyurl.com/bloginspire12

No comments:

Post a Comment