By Nelly Pérez, INSPIRE student
10th grade
It is interesting how people can use their surroundings to achieve success on their goals and dreams. Being a member of the INSPIRE Online Learning Community has inspired me to be a role model. All the knowledge acquired needs to be exposed and put in practice. I use this program to teach others and demonstrate the amazing STEM fields. I am the student leader of my school G.L.O.B.E (Global Learning and Observation for the Benefit of the Environment) Project. We teach intermediate students about the atmosphere, weather, space and many other themes. I used an INSPIRE activity called “Hurricane Katrina”. They learned its effect, consequences, how it is formed, and how many types of clouds there are. Now, we are organizing a Telescope Night. It’s an activity where we invite the Radio Telescope Association of the Caribbean Inc. (since I am from Puerto Rico) to make presentations and tell us how to use a telescope. We go to a place where it must be completely dark to see planets, stars, the moon and anything that could appear.
The other day, in the Civil Air Patrol, I used the International Space Station (ISS) Model activity. Cadets worked in pairs to build models of the ISS. It was a nice activity since they learn the ISS's purpose, objective, how it works and identify its parts. They took three hours to build it. They made a total of 14 ISS models. It was amazing to see their enthusiasm, their teamwork, and their ability to build things and the way they learn new things in a fun manner. As I said before, this program is a success in our everyday life. If your knowledge is growing, developing more, why not use it to help others to also succeed? Being a member of INSPIRE is a privilege, an opportunity that not every student has. So, when God open doors like this, do your best to keep it open.
Monday, March 7, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment